Progression of speed

Go down

Progression of speed

Post  clark10 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:21 am

As of now I wanted to play faster, I'm currently using Nullpomino as my tetris software, my fastest in 40 line race is 1min and 2 secs, I find my progression very slow so can you please share some of your experiences about speed, from your first line race to your current line race time and what important lessons you've learned from those experiences?
Lastly My tuning in Nullpomino is Min/Max DAS set to 6 and DAS delay set to 0, should I learn this setting till I get used to it or should I make it slow then gradually increase it by the time I need to?

clark10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Progression of speed

Post  MarioThePhenom on Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:03 pm

im not the most experienced, or the fastest(33.63 40L on npm), but any advice would help, right ?Razz

first ill start with the das. having DAS delay at 0 is ideal, but if you are constantly playing games without 0 DAS delay, it might take you a few games to get used to them( like tb or tf). also the DAS min/max should be a speed youre comfortable with. fast das doesnt always make you play faster. if its to fast youl be miss dropping alot and its just not pretty Razz. so really, if 6/6/0 is comfortable with you, keep it as is.

npm can set a 180 button. im not entirely sure if you really need it when playing 40L, but i have one set. more importantly then 180, learn to double rotate, it saves ALOT of time off your rec.

on npm, never use hold on 40L it will make you play faster. but on other games with line clear delay, hold is acceptable because you cant afford to waste time with skimming, but on npm, it doesn't matter

as for your progression.... the more dedicated you are the faster youll get faster Smile
i know a player whos screen name is xenoslash, who has a 27 sec rec and has been playing for just about a year, maybe less

if you need anymore clarifications, just ask Smile
MarioThePhenom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  clark10 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Thank you very much dude, this will help me alot for sure and other players as well.... and yea I think I will need to set my tuning to a much slower and comforting DAS

as for xenoslash hes quite an inspiration Smile that's a really huge achievement for me if i'm in his place

time to practice Razz

clark10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MarioThePhenom on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:48 pm

haha it would be a huge achievement for alot of people:P
im glad i could help, the faster you get, the harder it will be to break your 40L time and more time will have to be put into it to beat it. so dont get discouraged if youre stuck at a certain time.
MarioThePhenom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Anonymous1 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:55 am

Don't worry! For some reason a lot of people seem to get stuck at around the 1:00 mark and the 40 seconds mark. It's just a phase. You just have to keep playing!

Anonymous1

View user profile http://minodistrict.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SirJeivus on Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:14 am

This is a question I get quite frequently on FB/Twitter/MSN etc. I may do up a guide on this.

Being "fast" is something that a lot of us desire, but many North American players (not so much the Japanese) like to go fast for the sake of going fast, while sacrificing technique and consistency. I beat people faster than me (by a landslide) all the time, and even though their sprint is maybe .5 or even up to 3 seconds faster than mine, my average APM is larger by 10 or more.

An intricate balance is required when considering speed and consistency. By consistency, I refer to the rate of misdrops. An iterative procedure I used to do when I was a lot slower was if I MD 3 or more times over 10 games in 40L mode, I make my tuning less sensitive. If I'm able to complete a 40L with 0 MDs, I make my tuning more sensitive. I keep doing this until I find that point where I am just "barely pushing it", and stay with those settings for a while.

My approach to improving speed may be a bit longer, but have better long term effects. For nullpo, I started off with 7/7/1 rather than 6/6/0. It's important to be accustomed to what 1 deviation in said unit can have on the overall control scheme.

In other words, start slow, and if you're 100% consistent, kick it up a notch. If you're already MDing lots with your current sensitivities, tone it down until the MD rate is about 2-3 every minute or so. Then stay with it.

SirJeivus
Admin

View user profile http://minodistrict.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  clark10 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:13 am

Anonymous1 wrote:Don't worry! For some reason a lot of people seem to get stuck at around the 1:00 mark and the 40 seconds mark. It's just a phase. You just have to keep playing!

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. I'll enjoy myself as well Razz

SirJeivus wrote:This is a question I get quite frequently on FB/Twitter/MSN etc. I may do up a guide on this.

Being "fast" is something that a lot of us desire, but many North American players (not so much the Japanese) like to go fast for the sake of going fast, while sacrificing technique and consistency. I beat people faster than me (by a landslide) all the time, and even though their sprint is maybe .5 or even up to 3 seconds faster than mine, my average APM is larger by 10 or more.

An intricate balance is required when considering speed and consistency. By consistency, I refer to the rate of misdrops. An iterative procedure I used to do when I was a lot slower was if I MD 3 or more times over 10 games in 40L mode, I make my tuning less sensitive. If I'm able to complete a 40L with 0 MDs, I make my tuning more sensitive. I keep doing this until I find that point where I am just "barely pushing it", and stay with those settings for a while.

My approach to improving speed may be a bit longer, but have better long term effects. For nullpo, I started off with 7/7/1 rather than 6/6/0. It's important to be accustomed to what 1 deviation in said unit can have on the overall control scheme.

In other words, start slow, and if you're 100% consistent, kick it up a notch. If you're already MDing lots with your current sensitivities, tone it down until the MD rate is about 2-3 every minute or so. Then stay with it.

It would be very interesting if you made a guide and for the benefits of the many, anyway I like that method very much I'm going to try it out now. I also need to avoid MDs cause I'm having alot per game and yea I did set my DAS delay to 1 thanks to mario.

Thanks alot for the reply Smile

clark10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  es2mac on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:52 pm

not worth much but here's my stats

Paul's 40L progress

es2mac

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/liu.hsing

Back to top Go down