How to maintain b2b in FST efficiently?

Go down

How to maintain b2b in FST efficiently?

Post  ShineKia on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:03 am

Hi everyone who views this post~ I'm an average tetris player and I love to play tetris~
I'm playing tetris on TB most of the times, and the main playing style of me is ST stacking.
I do know 4 wide and infinite TST a little, but most often I use ST stacking.
As you know, with TB bombs mode on, ST stacking is a little bit risky as the stacking is high and easy to pop up if don't hold the T and defense against the upcoming attack appropriately in timing.
That's the reason I'm learning FST now, however I just can't get my T-spin b2b nicely... Any tetris expert comrades here can gimme some guides? What a Face

ShineKia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to maintain b2b in FST efficiently?

Post  SirJeivus on Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:14 am

This is an EXCELLENT question. I may need some time to prepare a response...this could get detailed.

SirJeivus
Admin

View user profile http://minodistrict.canadian-forum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ShineKia on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:11 am

SirJeivus wrote:This is an EXCELLENT question. I may need some time to prepare a response...this could get detailed.

Shank Q~ I'm looking forward to your response~ Razz

ShineKia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rbin on Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:28 am

you can stack up for b2b tetris, and at the same time seek for tspin opportunities while stacking.

rbin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MarioThePhenom on Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:30 pm

I'd love to help,but what does FST mean...?:p
MarioThePhenom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  es2mac on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:45 pm

FST is the acronym for "freestyle t-spin," a term coined by SirJ.
It just refers to the play style of doing T-spins dynamically depending on the field, as opposed to fixed forms such as ST stacking.

es2mac

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/liu.hsing

Back to top Go down

Post  MarioThePhenom on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:11 pm

es2mac wrote:FST is the acronym for "freestyle t-spin," a term coined by SirJ.
It just refers to the play style of doing T-spins dynamically depending on the field, as opposed to fixed forms such as ST stacking.
Didn't know free styling with t spins had a name:p
I normally FST unless it's tb,so I think I could give out some usefull tips.
(thanks for the full deffinition,although the first bit would have been fine:p)
MarioThePhenom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  barneey on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:27 pm

If you want to maintain your B2B combo while doing what you refer to as "FST", you'll have to be a very efficient stacker.
Basically what this means is you need to differentiate between a bad piece placement and a good one, or else you'll end up having to clear a triple, double or a single and break your B2B chain.
Recognizing piece patterns is a skill your brain develops and improves more or less every time you drop a piece, which is why I think "FST" will be near impossible for a beginner to maintain for long. I don't know if you are a beginner, but if you are, be prepared for a long ride.

However, you can still practice it by simply having "FST" efficiency as a goal when you play, because your brain will strive to give you optimal results, and this goal will be achieved by constantly learning what piece placements are optimal for certain situations.

You say you already know the Infinite TST, 4 wide and ST Stacking. You can't practice "FST" like you did those, because unlike them, "FST" is not a setup, it's a completely new way of playing and it would be impossible to practice every situation that can arise, because there are way, way too many.

Best of luck to you!

barneey

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SirJeivus on Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:49 am

In short, b2bing requires a number of skills

-Clean stacking
-Ability to see in the future based on 6 piece preview
-Experience
-Good mental spacial arrangement

The "Tetris" field is a 10 unit by 20 unit field (L x H). Best stack ratios for maintaining b2b are 7-2, 6-3 or 5-4. By 7-2, I mean a stack that's 7 units wide, a tetris hole, then a stack 2 units wide. Some Taiwanese students used one of my replays where I had some 90+ APM, and I started off with a 7-2 stack. This is a good demonstration of b2b. Check out 4:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiLSmYwH5UY

Also, holding T's helps a lot, as you can execute your T-spin at any point in time. But remember, do not do T spins for the sake of doing T-spins, do it when it's a good idea and when the rest of your field is flat.

Barney said this: Recognizing piece patterns is a skill your brain develops and improves more or less every time you drop a piece, which is why I think "FST" will be near impossible for a beginner to maintain for long. I don't know if you are a beginner, but if you are, be prepared for a long ride.

I cannot agree more. This is well-phrased. There are times I do use ST stacking, but only 2-3 iterations to get off quick T spins. Also knowing pairs of minos, or what I call complementary pieces (S/Z, L/J, etc) in setting up T-spins helps.

More advanced techniques, such as donating and the use of kaidans, may also help. I tend to use these quite a bit, and incorporate it into my FST-style.

My FST is constantly evolving. Earlier, I had a set of 4-5 openings which were always the same. Then I switched to more freeform openings, either having a 6-3 or 5-4 type of stack.

SirJeivus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Shank Q~

Post  ShineKia on Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:04 am

Thank you very much Sir~ Razz I will work on my way to improve more of my predicting skills on the previews, I'm not good in that... Sad And by the way thanks for the T-spins ver 3 fumens, I learned different methods of T-spins a lot from there~ By practicing those fumens, I increase my so called "recognizing piece patterns" a lot better~ And I've just realized one of the biggest beauty of FST is that, since there're so many ways and methods in setting up T-spins, many people would have different types and styles of T-spin stacking methods, that's what make it so cool to learn~ rabbit Hope one day I could reach a standard where I can battle with you on the real field~ Razz

ShineKia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SirJeivus on Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:03 pm

Reading the previews is a big part of FST, and I know a lot of players don't do that.

SirJeivus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ShineKia on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Reading previews are ok... But reading previews and plan the placement of the pieces ahead at the same time is the hardest part... Do you count every bags of minos when you drop in order to know which pieces haven't been dropped? Question

ShineKia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  SirJeivus on Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:25 pm

Nah, I just have a rough idea when the last T or I piece came, those two are the most important pieces because they're the ones that are "attacking pieces".

SirJeivus
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down