Mino District
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy

Go down

Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy Empty Downstacker's Guide to the Galaxy

Post  Anonymous1 Thu May 10, 2012 1:24 am

It's about time i posted this. I know this guide is pretty long, but if you have the time to read/skim through it (I would suggest just going through a section at a time as opposed to trying to read the whole thing at one time), it might enlighten you a little bit.

Part 1
Spoiler:

Downstacking Techniques

Here I'll be posting some general stuff on downstacking that helped me become the player I am today!

There are a few techniques I use when downstacking. The first technique, I showed in the first post. I'll call it the "Garbage Double Technique" If anyone can think of a better name, please give me one because I'm terrible at making names.

Garbage Double:
Spoiler:

I piece placement
Spoiler:

Predicting your hole
Spoiler:

Stacking Flat Over Holes

Spoiler:

Downstacking Rhythm

Spoiler:

Knowing when to stack up

Spoiler:

Reversing holes

Spoiler:

Consecutive Downstacking

In an earlier section, I talked about what happens when you have holes stacked over each other. Well, sometimes, when the holes are not stacked over each other (i.e. spread apart*), you can choose to downstack many holes (3-4) at once, and then turn the last garbage hole into a large line clear. This can be very efficient if you can get 3 garbage singles, and then a garbage Tetris. For instance:

http://harddrop.com/fumen/?m110@NdC3gbF3gbN3gbM3gbA3gbP3gbF3gbJ3gbG3gbE3gb?I3pbAoU0AmOCbE0oo2A1no2Ao3krDzoo2ABMVTASI7QEy4z?nDFbUVEFD0dEJS9CE5oo2A3oMDE1doUgbvUbcAwNcACD5rD?FbEBEJGVTASosaEFbcEE5oo2AnH0CE7eVvzAJyAAwNuAUou?XEpN98AQcTDEloo2AtiSrDFb0sDPM98AQ+brDFbUfDsQVTA?SYD5DuoBAAAAAAwN/Bun9TASowNE1oo2AoC7rDFbEcEvoo2?AtSirDFbsYEVMVTASowNE1oo2AkXReEFLsRASIbeEhViTAS?IClEFM98AwBJvEFbMwDBcudDn488AQcTDElN98AQ+7dD0oo?2ABMVTAS4MrDmXyrDFbEcEoi2TASYKNEsIhAA8+AF+AGFBS?FBDoOAApBBf/OAB2HGDEhoA6AFb8sEvQ98AQ/IbE0oo2Akn?VKETPckDroSTASonRASI/MEuNlkDVP2kEloo2Ao3krDzoA6?AlCPAAEUBDQBmXBHYB9ZBmbBhgBcfBAAA

*Actually you can almost always use Consecutive Downstacking, but it's a lot easier to do when the holes are spread apart.

What makes consecutive holes? Mainly, the first thing is that the holes are not stacked together. Even if the holes are spread relatively far, if two of the holes are stacked, or near stacked, you'll be in trouble if you're trying to downstack using Consecutive Downstacking (see frame 2). Then, the second thing to see is, how spread out are the holes. The more spread out the holes are, the easier it is to use Consecutive Downstacking, since spread out holes means you have more options to place your pieces (see frame 4).

http://harddrop.com/fumen/?m110@1dE3gbJ3gbK3gbH3gbH3gbK3gbA3pbAoUPATPckDro?STASYKNEsY8CA2dAAibA3obAAA3jbAAlbA3nbA3gbAAibAA?hbA3pbAAA3qbAwNuAFStJEFb85AFbsYE0Sg/DF388AQcTDE?loo2AjCpTASYkXEFStJE0oo2Aj2AAAJeEYgbLYHcAwNGAmQ?5hE1ACAA2dA3jbAAibAAjbA3jb8eA38ecDBfsbA3ibAAjbA?AjbA3rbAwNzAo3krDzoo2ABMVTASI7QEy4znDFbMLEVP98A?Doo2AjG88Awd0TASoKTASIINEFrmAA

There are two important aspects to do Consecutive Downstacking. The first important aspect is looking for spread holes, and then set a goal. If I see I can downstack consecutive garbage lines, then I'll set my goal to the 3rd, 4th, or 5th hole (or whatever the last hole I think I can reach is). After that, the other important thing behind downstacking consecutive holes is to not stack over future holes. Here's another example:

http://harddrop.com/fumen/?m110@NdD3gbG3gbG3gbR3gbD3gbF3gbK3gbN3gbE3gbJ3gb?D3pbAoUPAzo2TASoFvEFbMwDvisCA1dHYgbIYbcAAA7eGMk?OkAkXpTAyi1TASIbeEhViTASIClEFM98AQcTDElN98AQlbo?EFoOAAO8AJtAD/AvFBAwNmAXnzJCvH98Axno2ADX5aEl1ge?EJSVTASY5LEXmceEhVC5DurBAA

One hindrance to Consecutive Downstacking is that you can really only do it if your field is relatively clear. If you have a lot (or even a few) lines stacked up, then you won't be able to use this technique. But if you're using garbage doubles and the other techniques, then having a clear field isn't too difficult.

Learning to recognize when you can do this can take a while, but it can help a lot in games like TF where you rarely receive single lines of garbage, but when you do, the garbage comes in consecutive lines of 3-5 (because of combos and doubles). And when this happens, and the lines are favorable for consecutive downstacking, you can just plow through the lines and get down to your straight line garbage easily.

Consecutive Downstacking is also good if you're trying to play dig race and use the least amount of pieces (although I recommend playing to be efficient rather than using least pieces).

Also for anyone who hasn't seen apocalypse's blockbox survivor video, you're missing out!

If you watch, he keeps his field flat and clear pretty much the whole time which is why he can downstack so fast!

Anonymous1

https://minodistrict.rpg-board.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum